I keep it in an Aquapa case after ruining a previous phone. I mainly use Aplinequest and create maps using Mobile Atlas Creator for Scotland and Viewranger premium maps in Europe. It’s really just backup for a map and compass however. My tracks is nice to play with but I don’t often use it.
- The A-GPS Tracker app consumed much less battery but on the other hand the GPS tracking was also quite inaccurate in this hiking app.
- To communicate with the watch, your phone needs to have the PRO TREK Connected app installed.
- For this, you need to accurately know your position along a route to track your speed and elevation along with distance traveled and distance to the next point.
- my.viewranger.com website, then sync them to your account so you can follow them using your smartphone.
- Like other mapping GPS systems, ViewRanger shows your location plus other data such as altitude and grid reference, and you can record your track and save waypoints.
It can also help you determine the satellites it APK To APPS can see and is using at any given time, which frequencies your device listens on , and the accuracy of the data your phone reports. These applications let you search for and learn about places on the map. iOS is the native operating system of Apple’s mobile devices. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices can be used to view and edit OpenStreetMap-based maps as well as to record GPS tracks that can be uploaded to OSM to aid in editing. Critically, you can’t download maps for offline use—so it’s a non-starter for backcountry use. And it doesn’t have USGS Topo or OpenHikingMap HD maps.
Best Christmas Tree Wallpapers For Your Android Phones
You can easily access the maps on the go or download them to the device for offline use. Like a standalone outdoor GPS, ViewRanger both tracks where you’ve been and allows you to set up routes ahead of time. Overall, ViewRanger is a solid app that stands as a great counterpart to other mapping or GPS tracking tools. The biggest advantage is the ability to download maps for offline use.
I can also get some useful information from the track, like the elevation change. If you want to get technical I can also export the track as a GPX file and import into another mapping application. I’ve used the Ordnance Survey app since it was first available. Some of the function only works on IOS, it only does routing in National Parks, there are limits on Waypoint numbers.
How To Save Offline Maps
What I call the “Tile” screen (the ViewRanger app calls it “Trip View”) serves as a sort of basic dashboard for the app. Distance, time, speed, and direction are all available at-a-glance. This page was useful on the move, but most of the important information it contains is available elsewhere in the app as well.